Mr. William Weber, History Club Sponsor
Phone: (708) 585-7040
Google Class Code: CKWLTJ6
Description: The purpose of the History Club is to promote awareness about important historical events, as well as the importance of honoring our Veterans and our nation's history. The students in the History Club decide which important issues should be discussed.
- Assist the VFW (Calumet City) in their Voice of Democracy Writing Contest. (annually)
- Volunteer at the VFW Post 8141 Spaghetti Dinners.
- Raise money for for Honor Flight Chicago - to fly WWII Veterans to Washington DC to view their WWII Memorial.
- Play miniatures wargaming. (monthly)
- View historical movies. (ex: Zulu, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, etc)
- Play historical board games. (Risk, Axis and Allies, etc.)
- Bring in guest speakers regarding historical topics.
- Interview WWII vets and compile video histories.
- Fieldtrips to Cantigny (1st Division War Museum)
- Create an on going Civil War campaign
- Veterans' Day Assembly
- Veterans' Day Luncheon
The club has been in existence since 1999. We originally organized to raise money for the WWII Memorial in Washington D.C. We were able to raise about $6500 towards the memorial by doing walk-a-thons and a 40's swing dance (huge success - included swing-bands and participants who were dressed the part). We were ranked 1st in Illinois and 11th in the nation for school fundraising.
Procedure for Joining: Announcements are made regarding meeting dates and times, or see Mr. Weber in Room 203.
Time Commitment: The students decide meeting times. Most wargames take place on a Saturday.
Activity Time Period: All year
Plans for the Future:
- Fundraise to contribute to other memorials and club events.
- Fieldtrip to Gettysburg and other historical places.
- Bring in war veterans to speak to our club, other classes, and the school.
- Continue fundraisers for events to honor our veterans and troops.