Material not available at TF North may be borrowed from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan. This service, for members of the Calumet City community, is usually free of charge.
Please allow 7-10 days for requested materials to arrive.
The loan period, normally two to four weeks, is established by the lending library. Occasionally a lending library may charge a borrowing fee. In these cases, Calumet City patrons will be asked if they want to pay the fee and proceed with the loan. Some published books and non-print materials may not be available to borrow.
You can request materials from the Metropolitan Library System via the Internet by clicking on the link below.
Follow the instructions below to request books from the Metropolitan Library System.
1. Click on the SWAN Online Catalog link.
2. Search for the book, DVD, video, etc. by choosing with the downward arrow the author, keyword, or title option.
3. Once you have selected author, keyword, or title, type in the information that you know. For example, if the author of the book that you wish to request is Dan Brown, click on the author folder and then type in the author's name in the following way: Brown, Dan. Then click on the "submit button."
4. This will first bring up all authors with the name Dan Brown. Then choose the correct "Dan Brown" and click on the author's name.
5. This will bring up a list of titles written by the author.
6. Choose the title of the book that you wish to request, and click on the link.
7. Locate the "Request Icon" located at the top of the page, and click on it.
8. You will then be prompted to login to the SWAN online catalog.
9. Type in your name in the "Your Name" box exactly as it is written on your Calumet City library card.
10. In the "Barcode Box" type in the barcode number that is on your library card. It is a fourteen-digit barcode number.
11. Type in a PIN number in the "PIN Number Box." You create your own PIN. A PIN is at least 5 characters long and is made of any combination of letters and/or numbers. Since the PIN helps protect your privacy never use obvious words, numbers, or dates as your PIN. If this is your first time creating a PIN, you will be brought to a confirmation screen where you will be asked to enter it two more times.
12. Make sure to remember the PIN number that you create. You will need it every time you need to make an online catalog request.
13. Then click the "Submit Button."
14. Then you will receive a message whether or not your request was successful.
15. Once our book is sent to the Calumet City Library, they will contact you by phone or by email to come and pick it up.