T.F. South has much to be proud of!
During the 2010-2011 school year, our students have accomplished the following:
- History club placed 2nd in mock trials
- JV Scholastic Bowl team placed first in conference
- $15,390.86 raised for St. Baldricks in our annual schoolwide service project
- Girls' Cross-Country qualified for sectionals, with one runner awarded All-Conference
- Girls' Freshmen Basketball team ended the season 20-3, winning Conference
- Boys' Sophomore Basketball team ended the season 16-6, taking second place in Conference
- Two students were named Golden Apple Scholars, chosen from over 1,800 applicants
- Symphonic Band took first place at the Midwest Music Festival in February
- Winter Colorguard qualified for state championships for the 14th time
- Two art students won a Best of Show award at the SSC Visual Arts Show in February
- Varsity Girls' Bowling Team earned the Illinois High School Association All State Academic team award
- Varsity Wrestling Team earned the Illinois High School Association All State Academic team award
- Congratulations to the four recipients of the Lansing Rotary Club Scholarship: An award in the amount of $1,000 each was presented to Ronisha Edwards, Alex Oberman, Amanda Vaughn and Diamond Young at a special luncheon on Friday, May 20, 2011
- Congratulations to the first recipient of the Patti Leach Memorial Scholarship! Senior Amanda Hallberg was awarded a $500 scholarship to utilize during her studies at an institute of higher learning.
- Badminton- Winner of the IHSA All Academic Achievement Award 2010 - Nominated again for 2011
- SSC Conference Badminton Champions: Loran Pasko/Jenny Le/Shannon Pollard/Jessica Gomez/Emily Leiner /Andriana Johnson/Cassie Breshock/Kym Tisder/Melissa McNish
- Sectional Badminton Champions: LoranPasko/Kym Tisder/Melissa McNish
- SSC Conference TEAM Badminton Champions
- Loran Pasko 2nd in the State - Singles
- Kym Tisder & Melissa McNish 3rd in the State - Doubles
- IHSA State Badminton Tournament - TEAM 2nd Place in State
- Loran Pasko - Hammond Times Athlete of the Week
- Kym Tisder & Melissa McNish - Hammond Times Athletes of the Week
- Kevin Hallberg donated blood over 6 times in his high school career, making him a member of the Red Cord Society through Heartland Blood Centers.
2010-11 T.F. South Chess Awards:
- Individual conference medals were awarded to Savaun Hamilton, Sean Richards, & Nick Alvarado. All of them earned silver medals on their respective boards (1,2,& 3).
- Savaun Hamilton and Sean Richards were also named to the South Suburban Conference all-conference team.
- Nick Alvarado earned a 6-1 record at the state tournament and finished in 8th place out of 128 on the 3 board. He was awarded an IHSA medal for his achievement.
Teachers and staff at T.F. South have also accomplished the following:
- Social Studies teacher Mr. Gourley earned a Golden Apple Award for excellence in teaching
- Art teacher Mr. Misch took first place in a local painting competition
- Librarian Ms. Guzman received an Award of Merit from the Illinois State Board of Education
- Activities Director Mrs. Szuba received an Award of Recognition from the ISBE
- Principal Ms. Whalen given a Community Leadership Award
- Guidance Counselor Ms. James became a National Board Certified Counselor and a Licensed Professional Counselor
2010 School Report Card