July 30, 2019
Dear Thornton Fractional District 215 Family,
On behalf of our Board of Education and the entire TFD 215 family, we would like to welcome our students and families to the 2019-2020 school year. The 2018-2019 school year was my first year as Superintendent of our school district; I was excited then to welcome everyone back and this year I am even more excited. Year one was a year of many accomplishments thanks to the dedicated staff members you will have the opportunity to interact with during your time in our district. Provided below are some of those highlights.
- Collectively, our graduating class of 2018-2019 earned more than 20 million dollars in scholarship monies.
- Our staff members, beginning in the spring of 2019, began overhauling several of our curriculum documents with the goal of providing our student scholars with a more robust and comprehensive curriculum.
- We offered our first Advanced Academic Showcase to inform our families about our career and technical education, dual credit enrollment, and advanced level courses, including honors and advanced placement.
- We had several champions both on and off the sports fields.
- Our girls’ badminton team won the South Suburban Conference (SSC) Champion for the 9th consecutive year.
- Our student, Bryan Hernandez, represented the State of Illinois in the Collision Repair Technology Division National Skills USA Conference.
- Our student, Bilal Bailey, won the state wrestling tournament and consequently is ranked #1 in the state for his respective weight class.
- Our student, Kayla Gilmore, continues to rank #1 in many of her speech competitions.
In this new school year, we will continue preparing our students for an on-time promotion to grade ten and beyond, we will continue improving student support systems, and we will introduce an Early Warning System (EWS) to increase academic and behavioral interventions for students. We are also partnering with Equal Opportunity Schools, whose mission is to “… to ensure students of all backgrounds have equal access to America’s most academically intense high school programs—and particularly that students of color and low-income students have opportunities to succeed at the highest levels.” Additionally, we have replaced our previous student information system (Power School) with a new system: Tyler Student Information System. You will find that our new system is easier to use, with enhanced access to your child’s information. These are just a few of the areas on which our staff is focusing as we embark on the 2019-2020 school year. As always, Thornton Fractional High School District 215 remains committed to providing the best learning environment for your child(ren).
Communication with families is also a priority in TFD 215. Please be sure to connect with us on social media to stay abreast of information and events in the district. You can follow Thornton Fractional High School District 215 on Facebook and on Twitter @tfd215. You can also stay informed with the most up to date news and stay connected by frequently visiting our district website at https://www.tfd215.org. In addition, I will be hosting parents again this year for Soup with the Supt., an informal time to dialogue with me. Please watch for details and join me!
Again, on behalf of the Board of Education and our entire TFD 215 Family, I wish all of our students a highly successful school year! Whether you are new to our school district or returning, we are elated to have you!
With much appreciation,
Teresa A. Lance, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Thornton Fractional 215