Dear Thornton Fractional Township 215 Family,
Welcome to both our new and returning families and staff to what I believe to be a positively exciting start to the 2018-2019 school year! As the new Superintendent of Thornton Fractional High School District 215, I’ve spent my first month getting to know many facets of our community. I plan to spend the duration of my first 100-days continuing to become acquainted with our school communities. I hope you will join me in my future “Soup with the Supt” meetings; this is an opportunity for me to hear from you.
As stated previously, I believe we are off to an exciting school year because there are so many great things happening in our school communities and more specifically, in Thornton Fractional 215. Here are a few of the highlights of 2017-2018:
- Antonio Guzman, one of our Auto Collision and Repair students, competed in the National Competition for Skills USA after finishing 1st in the state competition.
- A dozen students participated in the Careers in Pharmacy Program at Midwestern University.
- Last year's graduating class earned more than $7 million in scholarship dollars.
- Twenty-eight of our students, while being accompanied by three teachers, attended a Spanish Immersion experience in Costa Rica.
- Our very own special education teacher, Jen Gross, was recognized as the Lansing Rotary Educator of the Year.
- Our T.F. South Art Club received the Best First-Time Artist award at the Tinley Park Benches on the Avenue Contest.
Together, we will continue the great work already in place and capitalize on these things moving forward. Here are a few plans for the upcoming school year:
- To ensure we are better preparing our students for an on-time promotion to grade ten and beyond, we will tighten our multi-tiered systems of supports (MTSS) and introduce an Early Warning System (EWS) to increase early and frequent interventions for students.
- Campus administrators and selected teachers will engage in an Instructional Rounds process to improve teaching and learning for all students.
- We will provide systemic professional development around critical themes to advance our school district.
- We are rolling out a new district website and will have a more active presence on multiple social media platforms-Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Campus administrators, in an effort to improve their professional practice, will videotape post-teacher conferences.
I am energized to work alongside you to sustain and strengthen our work. Most importantly, I am committed to providing staff support and resources as we cultivate the academic achievement of all students. During this coming year, there will be a greater presence in schools and classrooms, from campus administrators and central office staff, to capture student and staff successes.
As stated earlier, we will have a more active presence on social media. You can follow us on Twitter (@TF215 and @teresa_lance) and Facebook. I will be hosting Soup with the Supt. this school year; please join me! You can also stay informed with the most up to date news and stay connected by frequently visiting our website at www.thorntonfractional215.org.
On behalf of the Board of Education and our administrators, I wish all our students and staff another highly successful school year!
With much appreciation,
Teresa A. Lance
Superintendent of Thornton Fractional 215