In light of the recent school shooting in Florida, schools across our nation have received numerous unverified, in many instances, prankster threats. Recently, we learned that 16 schools across the nation with the word “North” in their name closed because of unverified threats.
Please be aware that to date District 215 has not received any verifiable threats with regard to our students or staff. Since the February school shooting in Florida, we have taken the following additional safety measures at all of our schools:
- Additional police presence
- Additional after school security support
- Regular building walk-throughs and door checks
- Random locker searches
- Additional presence of adult volunteers
- Other security measures
We want to assure you that during the last three months of school, District 215 is taking this matter serious and sparing no resource to ensure that all students and staff are safe. As we continue to coordinate our increased security measures with our feeder schools and the entire community, it is important to know that we can count on you.
Here are a few things that you can do to aid in the safety of our students in school and in the community:
- Send your child to school every day for a full day of attendance (limit early dismissals).
- Monitor your child’s social media and telephone use.
- Set and expect arrival and departure times to and from school with your child.
- Have discussions regarding school and community safety with your child.
- Communicate to the school any concerns or unusual behaviors that you or your child observe.
It is unfortunate that our school district, along with thousands of districts throughout our country, has to address school safety in such a heightened and intense manner. Rest assured, we are taking the matter very seriously and will continue to be vigilant in our safety efforts.
Finally, know that it is our mission to ensure a safe school environment and culture where we nourish and treasure the minds of our children and their upbringing.
Thank you for your continuous support.
Dr. Creg E. Williams, Ed.D.
Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter here.