AP Psychology Summer Reading Assignment
Congratulations on your course selection of AP Psychology. You have made a wise yet demanding choice. You will have the opportunity to find out what makes people tick and have a better understanding of yourself as well. I have high expectations for this class and demand students who are willing to put in the required effort necessary to succeed. My goal is for every student enrolled in the class to take the AP Exam in May, giving them the chance to earn college credit. That requires dedication, enthusiasm, and hard work on both our parts. I will do my job and I expect you to do yours.
Below are the requirements for your summer assignments. Your summer assignments are all due on the first day of class!
I will be at the school on the following dates: June 18th from 12:30 PM-1:30 PM & July 30th from 10:00 AM-11:00 AM for assistance with the summer assignments. Please e-mail me prior to those dates if you plan on attending. Please bring your materials and questions.
Be sure to contact me with any questions.
Mrs. Bivins - email@example.com
Assignment #1 - Approaches to Psychology (PowerPoint Format - E-mailed to me by the first day of school - you will eventually submit to turnitin.com)
For each Approach:
1. Give a summary of each approach (1-2 Slides)
2. Psychologists associated with the approach and their beliefs/theory (1-2 Slides)
3. How the approach is used today - example of how the approach is incorporated into therapy (1-2 Slides)
4. Apply the case study scenario given to each of the approaches. How would a psychologist using this approach treat the client? (An example is provided for you) (1 slide)
Case Study Scenario:
Mike is a 17-year-old senior in high school. Mike was adopted when he was 4 years old. He is African American but his parents are Caucasian. He lives in a small community known for its farmland and rich history in the cement business. Until his senior year, Mike earned A's and B's and had a good group of friends, now he is currently failing the majority of his classes. Eight months ago, Mike's grandmother passed away. His father fell into a deep depression and began staying out all hours of the night at the local bar. Two months ago, Mike's mother told him that she was going to be divorcing his father. Mike has since been ditching school and drinking a lot of alcohol. On the rare occasions that he does go to school he gets sent home for disruptive behavior. One time they sent him home because he went to school drunk. Then, last week, Mike drove his car off the road on his way to school, hit a tree, and suffered a concussion. As of today Mike rarely hangs out with his friends anymore and his school attendance has rapidly declined.
*Be sure to do numbers 1-4 for each approach. You must go in order. You should not jump around.
- You must have a minimum of 3 credible sources for this assignment (.org, .gov, .edu, Ebscohost, reputable magazines, Psychology Today, etc.
- Your last slide should be a works cited page.
- ***BEWARE OF PLAGARISM - You are not allowed to just copy and paste information on your slide. It must be in your own words or cited from the source. Plagiarized assignments will earn no credit!
- Use APA format when doing your citation - See Perdue Owl for APA Citation help!
Assignment #2 - Article Review (Typed questions due first day of class). Be ready to discuss your analysis of the article on the first day of school.
Read the attached article "What makes Teens Tick" by Claudia Wallis.
1) Annotate & Sub search the article
2) Type your answer the following questions:
1. Summarize the article. The summary should identify the topic and provide enough specific information so that the reader understands the issue involved.
2. What is the opinion/perspective/viewpoint of the author? Does the title influence the reader's views?
3. How does this issue of findings brought up in the article affect the field of psychology or human kind? Keep in mind the overall goal of psychology is improve the quality of human life through a deeper understanding of how the human body works and why humans behave a certain way.
4. What does the author attribute to risky/bad teenage behavior? Please explain your answer.
5. Does the author use research to support their claim about where risky/bad teenage behavior comes from? If so, describe the research?
6. Which of the 7 Psychological perspectives (Biological, Evolutionary, Psychodynamic, Behavioral, Cognitive, Humanistic, and Socio-Cultural) does this author use to present their case? Please explain your answer.
7. Do you agree with the author's opinion about where risky/bad teenage behavior comes from? Explain why or why not.