AP Language & Composition Summer Reading Assignment
Welcome to AP Language and Composition. The following reading lists offer students high interest readings, contemporary texts, non-fiction readings, as well as literary classics. Hopefully, you will find the summer readings enjoyable as well as thought provoking.
These novels may be obtained at a bookstore or a library. If you purchase your book from a bookstore or online, that gives you the opportunity to highlight and make notes within your pages to help you read more critically. Annotating is a useful tool in this class and will be of great benefit to you. If you have any questions, you can email Mrs. Stewart - Williams at email@example.com
I will be available at the building to meet and assist you on 6/26/17 from 11:30-12:30 and 7/24/17 from 11:30-12:30 in the library- if the library is closed, we can meet in Guidance. Please bring your materials and questions.
You will be reading two novels and writing one essay. For the first novel, every student will read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. For the other book, you may choose a novel from the Non-Fiction Reading List or from the Classics Reading List. The details for the essay are below. THERE ARE TWO COMPONENTS; THE ESSAY AND the Things Fall Apart ASSIGNMENTS. YOU WILL NEED Things Fall Apart FOR THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF SCHOOL!
Be sure to contact me with any questions.
Mrs. Stewart - Williams
- There are three statements about literature. Support one of the following statements and explain how that statement proves true in regards to your chosen novels using specific citations from the two works.
- Your response should reflect your thoughts, observations, and analysis of the novels you chose for this class. For this project, research is discouraged. Your response should be original.
- Do not summarize; do not give full plot information; critically analyze the novels.
- 6 paragraphs (intro, 2 body paragraphs TFA and 2 body paragraphs book of choice, conclusion) and a Works Cited page, which should include BOTH of your books.
- Three citations per body paragraph be sure to ICE all quotes – Introduce, Cite and Explain
- Times New Roman, 12 point font, double-spaced
- Use MLA format for in-text citations and Works Cited page -if you need help please use the Purdue Owl Website as some MLA information has changed
- Due Date: The first day of school. ~Make sure it is printed AND submitted to turnitin upon your arrival. YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PRINT IN CLASS. If it is not on turnitin -15%, if I have to go looking for essays not printed -15%.
- Turnitin info- Class ID- 15301255 & Enrollment Key- StewartAP (no space)
- Remind info- AP Lang code k82a7d
“A story must be exceptional enough to justify its telling; it must have something more unusual to relate than the ordinary experience of every average man and woman” --- Thomas Hardy
“What lasts is what is written. We look to literature to find the essence of an age” --- Peter Brodie
"Thus all art is propaganda and ever must be, despite the wailing of the purists ... I do not care a damn for any art that is not used for propaganda"--- W.E.B. DuBois
Classics: choose one
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Beloved by Toni Morrison
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Slaughter House-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
- The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
- The Awakening by Kate Chopin
Non-Fiction: choose one
- Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
- Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah
- Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama
- Hustle: The Myth, Life, and Lies of Pete Rose by Michael Sokolove
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza
- Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell
- Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston
- The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank
- Soldier Girls by Helen Thorpe
- I am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai