Learning Resource Center Hours
All students must swipe in whenever they come into the LRC unescorted by a teacher or staff member.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
8:00 AM to 1:45 PM
On Wednesdays, only students in AP and Honors classes may report to the LRC at 1:45 for AP/Honors Study Hall.
On most Wednesdays, the LRC will reopen at 3:15 until 4:30.
Useful Links and Student Resources
APA (American Psychological Association) is used to cite sources within the social sciences. This resource offers examples for the general format of APA research papers.
Brainfuse HelpNow offers many helpful online academic services designed to support different learning needs and styles. Some subjects offered are: high school-level math (algebra, geometry, precalculus, calculus, trigonometry), English, reading, writing, Spanish, social studies, earth science, biology, chemistry, physics, and SAT prep. There is live tutoring (from 2:00 PM-11:00 PM), skills-building practice activities, a 24/7 Help Center where you can submit questions and receive answers within 24 hours, live writing lab and an intensive writing lab. (Access provided by the Calumet City Public Library.)
CIA World Factbook - The World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities. Includes: maps of the major world regions, as well as Flags of the World, a Physical Map of the World, a Political Map of the World, a World Oceans map, and a Standard Time Zones of the World map.
APA/MLA citation generator
An impartial presentation of opposing views on contentious national questions, PRO&CON®.
Over 35,000 pages of online content on the cultures and countries of the world. With unique content from around the world.
TF North Online Book Catalog
To see a list of the top 10 checked out books in North's library, a list of our new arrivals, and Ms. Wall's resources lists, click on the Destiny Quest link above.
Automatic Bibliography & Citation Maker
EBSCOHost Contains full-text sources from magazines, newspapers, primary source documents, biographies, almanacs, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference resources.
Information found here is considered scholarly and well researched. Databases included are WorldCat, ABI Inform, PerAbs, and Wilson Select.
FollettShelf e-book's have new capabilities. They are:
• Through the My Notebook function, while reading e-books, students can now click on the note icon and add notes to a particular page, as well as add tags to organize those notes.
• Through the Add a Note function, a citation can be created for that particular book.
• Students can highlight important information while reading.
• The dictionary component allows students to highlight an unknown word, click, and obtain the definition while reading.
• The Text-to-Speech icon allows students to play audio for compatible e-books. The text is highlighted as it is read.
Click on this link for instructions on how to take advantage of these functions.
An online tool for career exploration with information about occupations, educational requirements, colleges, and financial aid and scholarship resources.
iSEEK Education is a targeted search engine for students, teachers, and administrators. The site provides safe search technologies and editor-reviewed content, is authoritative and contains hundreds of thousands of trusted resources from universities, government, and established noncommercial providers, is intelligent as it instantly identifies lesson plans, activities, school subjects, grade levels, and more with iView navigation.
Provides free and open access through the Internet to written and spoken words, sound recordings, still and moving images, prints, maps, and sheet music that document a rich, diverse and enduring source of knowledge to inform, inspire and engage them and support their intellectual and creative endeavors.
MLA Formatting and Style Guide
MLA (Modern Language Association) style is most commonly used to write papers and cite sources within the liberal arts and humanities. This resource offers examples for the formatting of MLA research papers.
Generates citations for bibliographies or works cited pages for books by ISBN number or title.
Purdue OWL (Online Writing Lab) Provides assistance in writing, research, grammar and mechanics, style guides, ESL, job search and professional writing, and MLA formatting.
An online reference center with links to sources found in most public libraries. (Almanacs, Atlases, Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Thesauri, etc.)
Online access to the Metropolitan Library System's libraries. Students can search all seventy-five libraries in the Metropolitan Library System's holdings by author, keyword, subject, and title.
This database includes the following.
• Over 300 practice tests and courses (ACT, ASVAB, AP Practice Exams, GED, SAT, etc.)
• Dozens of ebooks containing valuable study material and practice tests
• Information on over 4,000 accredited schools
• Scholarship search featuring $8 billion in available scholarships
• Resume builder with over 1,000 brainstorming phrases to get students started
• Career modules covering subjects from career change to salary negotiations
- BS - Secondary Education & Spanish
- MA Ed - Curriculum & Technology
- Endorsement - Library & Information Science
- High school Spanish teacher since January 1995
- TF North Spanish teacher since 2001
- Highly Qualified ISBE Teacher
- Meteor Award of Excellence Recipient
- Calumet City's Teacher of the Year Award Recipient
- Smile and Move Award Recipient