T.F. North High School dates back to 1917 when Wentworth High School was organized and housed only Calumet City students. On April 12, 1924, the Thornton Fractional Township District was organized, and Thornton Fractional Township High School opened in March of 1926.
On December 20, 1933, Thornton Fractional Township High School was destroyed by fire. The main part of the present building was rebuilt on the same site and reopened on February 7, 1936.
Due to the growth and expansion of the Calumet City and Lansing communities, Thornton Fractional Township High School became T.F. North High School in January of 1959 with the opening of T.F. South High School. In 1963-64, new additions were added to the original building to assist with the increase in student population.
During the 2005-2006 school year, a massive building expansion project concluded with the creation of 12 new classrooms, an 18,000 square foot gymnasium, a band room addition and cafeteria renovations which will assist us in educating our current student population which exceeds 1,600 students.
Thornton Fractional North High School serves students from Calumet City and Burnham. The boundaries for the high school are the Indiana State Line on the east, Torrence Avenue on the west, the Little Calumet River on the south, and the City of Chicago on the north.
T. F. North High School is fully accredited by the Illinois State Board of Education, and it has been accredited by the North Central Association since 1927.